Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. I was considering skipping this week, I’m pretty busy at work and I’m getting ready to travel back to the west coast but this prompt calls to me. Finding excellent strong platonic relationships in books is my favorite, so here we go!
Platonic friendships can be hard to find, especially in YA where there seems to be an expectation that everyone needs to be in love. As a result, I always cheer for the best friend, the sibling, or the parent/child bond.
1. Scythe has some excellent mentor/mentee relationships!
3. I won’t say too much since Priory is still a few months away from release, but rest assured there are some excellent platonic friendships between humans, and also between humans and their dragons!
4. Kvothe and Auri’s bond is just the best in Wise Man’s Fear.
5. The Stormlight Archives has every kind of relationship you could ever want, the bonds of brotherhood in Bridge 4 are some of the best ever!
6. Another whole team of platonic buds in Boneless Mercies! I highly recommend this newer release.
7. Karou and Zuzana are just the best best buds ever.
8. One of my all-time favorite friendships is between Paige Mahoney and Nick Nygard from The Bone Season. Their bond is so amazing to me.
9. Though I have my issues with the villains series right now, I do love the development of Victor & Syd’s friendship.
10. Another pretty killer Schwab bond between Lila & Alucard! Love their friendship and how they learn from each other throughout the series.
Honorable mention to Illuminae for Kady’s friendship(?) with AIDAN! Their interactions are at once moving, thought-provoking, and sometimes terrifying. I’ll never get enough AIDAN.
Please give me some book reccs with strong platonic friendships! I need more in my life.